Thursday, February 08, 2007

13 Thoughts



Why do the weather people start frothing at the mouth when it just might rain/ freeze/ or comes a hurricane? It might freeze in Dallas (300 miles to the north) and the local weather folks are giving the impression that a blizzard with 2 feet of snow is imminent.

What earthly purpose does a Hummer serve in a large urban area where it never (despite the actions of the weather people) snows? It eats gas and dollars and screams “Conspicuous Consumption”.

Why do the “Ban the Harry Potter” folks not only want to keep their children from reading Harry Potter, they also want to prevent everyone else’s children from doing so too? Who appointed them as parents for the world at large?

How can people take
Pat Robertson seriously? God speaks only to him? From Moses to Pat Robertson is quite a comedown. I would assume God has better taste in friends and spokespeople.

Laura Bush is an educator and a librarian by education. In fact, she actually taught for a couple of years. You would think she try to talk some sense into her husband about
No Child Left Behind.

I am so out of touch. I picked up a copy of People while waiting in the grocery line and I had no clue who the People that People is talking about are. The only thing I know about Brittney Spears is that she does not care to wear underwear.

Speaking of – no amount of money appears to keep some women from sinking to their trailer trash roots. Take away her cash and she’d be your standard “married young, no college, barely finished high school, 2 kids in 2 years, twice divorced, future alcoholic floozy. With a mullet.

The latest trend in home décor appears to be “Home Theaters”. From the ads I gather you have one with 6 flat screen TVs on the wall and recliners with cup holders and pull out / fold out trays. If the furniture came with an optional catheter there would be no reason for a couch potato to ever arise again.

Why, when the line at the post office is out the door do some people decide to dither over what kind of stamp to buy. I can understand wanting “Love” stamps for wedding invitations but other than that who cares. Do they really think the envelope opening machines are going to notice?

ED – based on the number of ads one would think every male in America suffered from this problem. The fact that the birth rate isn’t falling leads to think it isn’t true but someone sure is buying a lot of this stuff.

And why do men get ED ads and women ads for Depends? Why isn’t it the other way around?

You need a license to operate a car but not to parent a child. Both, if you used or raised incorrectly can reek all sorts of heart rending havoc. So why do you need one for a car but none for a child?

Scouting for books is so much fun. Packing them isn’t. Life is not fair.




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




10 comments:

Unknown said...

13 good thoughts. But did you actually post them twice? That makes 26 if I can count.
Mine's up too.
Creative TT.

Unknown said...

Oh, also I can't agree with you more on NCLB.

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Hi! I'm just here via the Thursday Thirteen Meet & Greet.

I live for the day when I can turn my living room into a home theatre!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so thought provoking statements here. I love the "no child left behind". I think we need to give alot more thought on what is important and how to make it a better place for everyone.

Happy TT

Jill said...

I don't see the purpose of an Hummer even here, where it does snow!! I don't like the shape of the card, it probably cost like 1 liter of gas for 2km, and that thing takes 2 parking space!!
The owner of hummer just want to say that "I'm rich, look a my hummer, it represent everything capitalism!!"
(Thee is actually two in my little hometown!!)

ms. whatsit said...

Yep. Yep. Yep. These are great thoughts. Ostentatious cars and people get under my skin too.

devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my TT post the other day. I do love horror, but confess I've plugged my fingers into my ears, squeezed my eyes shut or covered them altogether on more than a few occasions!

You really hit the nail on the head with your 13. I especially agree with the white trash one. It's a shame. But we all know that money doesn't buy class.

Library Mama said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

The Library Lady said...

Love the catheter line--it's all too true.

And I hate the Hummers. I posted a cartoon on my blog about a guy who's (ahem) underendowed, and everyone laughs at him. Then he buys a Hummer and everyone on the street points to him. The tagline is "Hummer, Now EVERYONE Will Know"

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

Now Britney is trailer trash that's got a shaved head. Muuuuuch better.

I love the TT. Mine's on Star Wars, because I'm a dork. And happy about that, too.