Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Haves and the Have Nots

Houston’s one and only Nordstrom is in the Galleria, which is Houston’s version of Rodeo Drive. Tisn’t a place I frequent on a regular basis.

My wedding outfit adventures have resulted in unprecedented number of trips there this summer. Yesterday I decided I’d take advantage of their A/C and do my 30 minutes of walking. Off I went and wandered into the wardrobe department for either
Sex in the City or The Devil Wears Prada.

Versace, Coach, Cartier, Jimmy Cho, Burberry, Fendi - a veritable smorgasbord of high end designer stores where everything, even a pair of socks costs at least two figures.

The people were as interesting as the stores. Slim, exotic, women in impossibly high heels, many from Mexico – which didn’t surprise me since I knew the Galleria is a destination place for wealthy Latinos. I was amazed at the number of devote Muslim woman who were carrying arm loads of shopping bags from all the best stores. Some stunning fashion is hidden under those veils and robes.


The Galleria also bears some resemblance to the Transatlantic Ocean Liners of Old – the higher you go, the nicer the stores. The higher you go the better dressed (and thinner) the shoppers. The upper level stores have access to the skylights and natural light. The ceilings are high and skating rink gives the place a feeling of openness.

Feeling thirsty I headed for the food court – which had a great deal in common with steerage. Not only is it located in the bowels of the Galleria – below ground, it’s also surrounded the low rent store district. There I found Radio Shack, Foot Locker and all the “ordinary” mall stores. There I also found the “ordinary” people. The polyester, the mullets, the frizzy perms, the blue eye shadow, the baseball caps, the evidence that obesity is rampant in America.

The haves and the have nots – all within the confines of one mall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm forever torn when I go to malls, especially upscale shopping areas. I love them, am drawn toward designer clothing yet on a thrifters budget. How do I cope? I hit the Macy's discount racks where occasionally the designer top or sweater might somehow filter down and into my hands. The original price having had a red slash followed by three other mark downs, each slashed out. I'll buy it when it is around $20.00 if it fits and I'll feel good walking away with a new (shock, horror) item for pennies of what others had to pay three seasons ago. On my blog check out Mabel's House and her visit to an upscale grocery store. You and her both share the skill at witty humor. I think you would really like her blog.

arkreynolds said...

You have a wonderful way with words. If you ever write a book, I must read it because just reading your blog makes me want more!