Sunday, July 26, 2009

Library2Play - Thing #10 Virtual Worlds

I'm crying "Calf Rope". I don't have enough time to keep all the edges tucked in on the life I have, much less create and keep up with a Second One.

I followed all the links, registered and then ran into one glitch after another. Server Problems. Registration Problems. Try Again problems. All Second Life problems, not problems on my end problems. So my Avatar remains naked and nameless and I don't give a flip. Maybe a Virtual Policeman will arrest it and jail it for indecent exposure. Since I don't have any Second Life currency I won't be able to post bail and it can stay there.

There is a
Second Life section in E-bay where you can use real money to buy virtual land! Who knew?

Seriously, I am not a games person. I don't like card games, board games, computer games, Wii games or any sort of game. On the other hand, one of my girls was so addicted to
SimCity that she had to put the brakes on herself during school, otherwise she'd never study. She would love Second Life. In fact, she probably has an entire Second Life that I know nothing about (which is fine, she's 27, not 7).

I know my computer nerds at school would adore Second Life - they already adore
Poptropcica, a kid friendly virtual world. Jeff Kinney, author of the Wimpy Kid books helps to create that particular world and he knows exactly what kids want.


I view Second Life in the same way as I view cars. Cars get you from point A.o point B. It doesn't matter if you drive a ratty PT Cruiser with dents and dings or a brand new Ford F-10 truck with high dollar wheel rims and a fancy fade paint job. Both will get from point A to point B.

In the world of Web 2.0 one has virtual chat rooms, forums, IMs, Skype, list servs, back channel,blogs, Wikis & Nings to communicate with others. And then there is Second Life. They all allow folks to communicate but the former are PT Cruisers and the latter is the Ford F-10.

P.S. My child left me a comment. It wasn't Sim City, it was the SIMS and she too is much to busy with her current life to create a second one.

3 comments:

atxteacher said...

I love reading your blog. I had issues with Second Life, too. However, I've been told that it really is worth a third try. Maybe we go make a date to use a new SBISD mac to try again... or maybe not :)

Katherine said...

It wasn't SimCity-it was The Sims. And sorry, but I don't have a second life. I can barely keep up with the first one as it is.

Mamalibearian said...

I feel exactly the same way about second life. I do well to keep things from unraveling in my first one. Why do I want another?