Speaking of talking about, people often comment on how "lucky" I am to come across all this junk that I turn into treasure and manage to resell at a profit.
I always hear "I never find anything at thrift shops"
Me: "How often do you shop at one?"
Answer: "It's been 3 or 4 months".
Me " I troll the thrift shops 3 or 4 times a week".
There is some luck involved - maybe 10% but the rest is just plain hard work.
When it came to The House O' Stuff, the 10% was living in the same city as the toy hoarder.
The 90% was hard work was:
- · Going to every estate sale I could and getting my name on the-mail lists
- · Scouring their e-mails and pictures looking for a likely candidates.
- · Attending a great many Frog estate sales
- · Making nice to the estate sale dealers so that they will make nice to me. Th
- · In regards to the House O’ Stuff making the time to park my carcass in line for an hour and an hour a half the day before so that I’d get in the door in the first group
- · Showing up on time the day of the sale (believe it or not, some folks were late and lost their hard won place on the list)
- · Spending at least 3 hours at the sale for 2 consecutive Saturdays in a row
- · Busting my backside to get all the STUFF listed, packed, photographed etc. so that it would sell. Doesn’t matter how much it is worth – I’m not going to make any money if it’s stacked on the pool table!
Everything was either at Amazon or E-bay ready within a week of purchase.
So, yes there is some luck involved but there is a great deal of very hard work as well.