Thursday, August 11, 2005

1 Down, 179 to Go...

Today was the first day of school. One thing I like about teaching is that every year really is a new beginning. New kids, new teachers, new lessons, new inititives, new projects. Every 365 days you really do have a chance to experience "the first day of the rest of your life". I think that's one reason many teachers are optimists (you have to be to stay in the biz) - we really do have more opportunities than most people to write on the clean slate of life.

Many of my favorite kids came back (and a few that aren't). All teachers play favorites, anyone who tells you they don't is lying. Hugs and smiles all around. Our students pretty much like school. They get 2 good meals, routines and well expressed expectations. No matter what one reads about the spontaneity of childhood, children are creatures of habit. They like knowing what's going to happen and thrive on routine.

The library opened up first thing, we had full slate of classes and checked out 270 books. After many renditions of Alistar in Outer Space I have a sore throat and a sore back.

I think a hot bath is in order.

7 comments:

Robin said...

happy first day back--very exciting!

Anonymous said...

Hope it'll be a great school year!

Dree said...

Happy First Day to you! I still have a few weeks, but I'm prepping some stuff from home and setting up the room next week. Hope it's a good yearfor you!

Anonymous said...

Here's to the start of a great new year! My kids go back next week and they're really looking forward to it!

Julie said...

Oh my gosh! Alistair in Outer Space! Isn't that the one where he has to get back to earth in time to return his library book (now I see why you would read this) and on the last page the aliens set him down in Antarctica? My son used to love that weird little book.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this excellent blog. Keep it going.
I'm sure you'd be interested in cartoon animals
I hope you enjoy the subject cartoon animals

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I hope you did have the hot bath. I hope you are rested and feeling ready. Tomorrow is a big day. . . .

Not for me, though. I don't go back till the 22nd. My husband goes back in the morning. I haven't been smirky about it though, nope, not a bit.

Are you familiar with the 'Charlie Bone' books? I LOVE them!