Saturday, November 26, 2005

Black Friday

The news footage of the shopping madness on the Friday after Thanksgiving is more and more disturbing each year.

People stand in line for 4 hours to be first in the door for a 5am opening. People push and shove. People fall down and trampled one another. People scream at the poor salespeople who all look like they, in the words of Jimmy Buffett wanted to be "someplace other than here".

The scenes remind me to pictures of the earthquake, the hurricane or the tusami victims. Only those people are desperate for food and water. The people at Wal-Mart are desperate for bargains, cheap DVD players, 50 % leather coats and disposable plastic electronic gizmos made in China by underpaid workers.

Many Americans really do have their values and priorities somewhat askew.

As for me, I'm glad I do most of my shopping on the internet. Not only is in person shopping time consuming and annoying, these days it's also down right dangerous!

2 comments:

The Library Lady said...

I shopped in Walmart on Black Friday. From the computer at my parents' house. And I got the same Barbie dolls that were on sale in the store shipped to my parents' for $2.

The people at the store may have saved those $2. But considering the gas, the time and the behavior of the average Walmart shopper, I'd say I got the REAL bargain!

Msabcmom said...

I enjoyed being with my family that day. We went to a local pottery place and painted menorahs for Hanukkah. This year Hanukkah starts on the night of Dec 25. I plan on doing most of my shopping on the 26th to take advantage of the after Christmas sales.
It still will be hectic, I know!